Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Brady Memories, Pt. 1: My Most Horrifying Brady Wins and Favorite Manning over Brady Games

Tom Brady retired today. Granted, he did on February 1st, 2022, as well, before unretiring. There is a very much non-zero chance he does that again. But I think this is for good. He said as much in his video but more than that he silently just wasn't all that good this year. Yes, the Bucs had many other problems, but Brady wasn't a total solution, and I think the idea of coming back to that, or packing up and trying to start over somewhere else, is just too much. The age 45 was always the target he talked about. He reached it. Anyway, I had this in the hopper last year, but we have a few new entrants. In honor of the man that ruined more Sundays due to his brilliance overstaying at least my welcome, I give you my favorite Tom Brady games. 

Obviously, these are all losses for the Patriots, though I want to squarely focus on Brady losing. So you won't see any games where Peyton beat Brady. To be fair - a quick Top-5 list + sentence on each, of my favorite times Manning beat Brady, and my least favorite (most horrifying) Brady wins

Most Horrifying Brady Wins

5.) 2010 Week 10 - Colts 31  @  Patriots 35

Oddly, in my Top-5 this is the only time Brady beating Manning shows up, probably because the tough ones in that rivalry came literally decades ago (2003, 2004 playoff losses). This was tough because Peyton came so close to repeating the 4th and 2 win, this time without the aid of the 4th down division and in Foxboro. The 2010 Colts were a mess. They came back with Manning throwing two TDs to Blair White - but alas, a sudden pick ended it.


4.) 2014 Divisional - Ravens 31  @  Patriots 35

Going with this over the Super Bowl that year because I was never much a Seahawks fan. That Super Bowl was a lose-lose to me, and I figured by then the Pats were going to win another eventually, so why not against a team I didn't like. No, it was their ineligible/eligible receiver + Danny Amendola TD pass bullshit win against Baltimore that will haunt me. The Ravens could have easily won that game, continued their weird dominance over the Patriots, but no - Tommy had to sneak one out.


3.) 2020 NFC Championship - Buccaneers 31  @  Packers  26

Way worse for me then when he won the Super Bowl two weeks later, as that was a fait accompli from the 2nd quarter when it was super clear the Chiefs couldn't block the Bucs. No, this one I fully believe the Packers win 8 out of 10 times, but as always some lucky Brady bullshit gets in the way, like the heave TD to Scotty Miller, or him throwing three straight interceptions but the Packers turning it into just 7 points.


2.) 2011 AFC Championship  -  Ravens 20  @  Patriots 23

The one above this is obvious and is in a whole class by itself. This was just pure madness, in the darkest season for me following the sport (the season Manning missed). It could have had a great outcome. I loved all other three Final-4 teams that year, but the Pats barely sneaking by the best Flacco-era Ravens team due to Lee Evans dropping a pass, and more absurdly, Billy Cundiff Vanderjagt-ing a 34-yard field goal is something I'll never get over. Even despite the fact the Giants beat them in the Super Bowl (unsurprisingly, way high up my main list)


1.) Super Bow LI - Patriots 34  vs  Falcons 28

Don't think I need to explain this one really. It was the most harrowing way to see him succeed. For two hours we all got to collectively dunk on not only him losing, but the Patriots getting embarrassed. And then they came back in death by a thousand paper-cuts. Add to it a likable team in Atlanta blowing it when if they did one of like 20 different things they would've won.


Top-5 Manning over Brady wins

5.) 2006 Week 9  -  Colts 27  @  Patriots 24

This wasn't the first time Manning beat the Patriots. That happened in a 40-21 blowout in 2005. But this time they were even teams on paper. If anything, the 6-0 Colts beating the 5-1 Patriots was a huge, marquis game. The Colts picked off Brady four times. Manning played brilliantly against a Top-5 defense, and we have the lasting memory of Marvin Harrison's beautiful TD catch where he spikes it right in a Patriots defender's face. 10/10 all around.


4.) 2013 AFC Championship  -  Patriots 18  @  Broncos 20

Might seem low (as in I clearly have a regular season game above this) but it is this way for two reasons. (1) I didn't watch the game live, too worried about my heart rate if in case the Broncos lost, and (2) the Broncos were far superior so while it was fun watching them beat Brady, it seemed a bit too easy. Anyway, the game I'll remember more for being Peyton mastering the QB position. The conclusion to this game was probably the last true moment where public consensus might have been Manning > Brady.


3.) 2009 Week 10  -  Patriots 34  @  Colts 35

This is the last time Manning would beat Brady in the regular season (though he would twice more in the playoffs), and man was it incredible. Still my favorite regular season game of my life, but I'll stand behind it as one of the great regular season games ever, at least in terms of the storylines. The Colts going for 16-0 against the team that did it. Brady v. Manning. And of course every ounce of the discourse following the 4th and 2 decision. If true truth serum is invented, I do want to ask Bill Belichick if back in 2009 at least there was any other QB who would have risked going for it in that situation,


2.) 2015 AFC Championship

Fulfilling. That's what this game was to me. The reverse of so many other Manning losses and Brady wins, where Manning for once had the superior defense (and special teams, underrated in the game with McManus hitting a 50+ yd field goal, great punting by Denver, and Gostkowski missing an extra point) and Brady despite better weapons, losing because the pass rush got to him one too many times. My only disappointment from the game is Brady got far less criticism than I'm sure Manning would've gotten if the two had the reverse games 10 years prior. Anyway, it was just a joy to watch that Broncos defense at full power. And while hte ending was certainly nerve-wracking, seeing him lose on an interception on a 2pt conversion was just beautiful.


1.) 2006 AFC Championship  -  Patriots 34  @  Colts 38

I mean, this is as obvious as Super Bowl LI being the most harrowing. This is still my favorite football memory, if not greatest sports fan memory period. You couldn't right it better. From me questioning if all the Brady voodoo bullshit was real when they went up 21-3 (despite the result, the voodoo is real) To thinking that so many more times even after they tied it at 21-21, to running up the stairs full speed when the TD happened to give them the lead, to ultimately the Brady pick to end it. I can't imagine any game being so meaningful, so beautiful, so emotional and so lasting over this one. I'll remember each damn play for 40 years - granted it helps when I've rewatched it dozens of times.

About Me

I am a man who will go by the moniker dmstorm22, or StormyD, but not really StormyD. I'll talk about sports, mainly football, sometimes TV, sometimes other random things, sometimes even bring out some lists (a lot, lot, lot of lists). Enjoy.