Sunday, February 26, 2023

2023 Africa Trip: Day 7 & 9 - The Old & The New

Pt. 1 – The Old

Given this is the sixth time I’m doing this particular trip, fairly little is new. In reality, most of what I did on my first full day and third full day in Cape Town was treading on old ground, with a few small but notable exceptions. The time in Cape Town started in the way I think I’ve started my last two first full days, with a morning to lunch-time hike of The Pipe Track, from the starting point at the intersection of Table Mountain and Lion’s Head, continuing on through the backside of Table Mountain down to eventually Camps Bay.

It's a most trusted 90 minute jaunt. A few periods of uphills, a few periods of rocks, but mostly pleasant terrain and endless incredible views, from Lion’s Head on top of the initial part of the hike, through to the cascading series of peaks I would learn the next day were titled the Twelve Apostles, with the truly glistening Atlantic situated on past Camps Bay. There are enough interesting parts of the hike to keep it moving, from the actual pipe you have to walk on in portions, to the few gorges and couple streams, to the amazing trees that dot all over the Western Cape landscape. The Pipe Track also saves its best gift for last which is a drive back through a really swanky part of Camps Bay back to Cape Town, mainly the first few roads which have expensive homes with garages at Street Level and the houses built into the cliff underneath.

When back in Cape Town, with my parents running late on their tour of Stellenbosch (had about 25% of me regretting not joining them, having not done a Stellenbosch tour since 2016 – my 2nd trip), I went to Between Us for lunch. It’s a really nice little spot with a large, well crafted if homely menu served with intention. I got a Bean & Almond soup which was interesting but worked really well with a couple really soft bread rolls that accompanied it. For my main, I got an oxtail ragu which was excellent. After lunch I regioned my parents at the AirBNB. My Dad left for Newlands Cricket Ground to watch the semifinals of the Women’s World Cup (completely coincidental timing), and I took my Mom for a tour first of the Waterfront during the day, where she fell in love with it again, and then an unexpected tour of a 6x2 block park in the north end of the city center.

Technically I had been there before, but it was on my very first trip in 2013, since having experienced a combination of forgetting about it, and not finding time. Granted, It’s a skippable spot, but we only reached accidentally after realizing a food market in the area had permanently closed. The park is surrounded by old government buildings and Cape Town’s art museum. It was as well manicured and well replete with views of Table Mountain as you would expect anywhere in Cape Town.

On Saturday (Day 9), the main event was Kirstenbosch Gardens, a place I had been to three previous times, but never really ventured from end to end since my first visit there in 2016. My mom is an avid gardener so she took to it immediately. Honestly, even as for me or my Dad who are not nearly as avid, the allure is quite something. Vast space of well manicured gardens and trees and forest and lush green everywhere, all with the imposing Skeleton Gorge peak (a part of the backside of Table Mountain) overhead. We spent a good two to three hours there, which made sense given it was the main event of the day.

Dinner on Saturday was at Belly of the Beast, a pet favorite of mine. The 30-seat restaurant serves one sitting at 6:45pm, with a 6 course (made to 8 with throw in palate cleansers and petit fours) tasting menu. What I love about the place is that it is food I could conceivably make. There’s no molecular gastronomy at work. It is just great ingredients, worked on by great chefs made with care and precision. For instance, their opener was homemade bread with two dips of a duck terrine and duck liver parfait. Both were so damn good. Their fish course was a grilled bream with cape malay sauce. I could make a version of that dish easily. Theirs was far better than I could hope to match. Their main dish was a lightly cooked lamb rib with pinot jus and asparagus puree and it was great. Belly of the Beast is just a reliable option with such high quality food, and with the current exchange rate, you get it all for $45.

Night both days were somewhat consistent, what with the focus of Thursday through Saturday nightlife in the city. On both days I first stopped at The House of Machines, which is increasingly becoming a go-to on my trips. Both because it is closer to Modular, the remaining EDM club in the city center, than Long Street is to it, and as mentioned previously my feelings about Long Street are on a consistent decline. House of Machines has a good crowd, great service, a great vibe and atmosphere – though granted this is one of the more common positives I’ve noted about Cape Town is how generally pleasant everyone is.

After The House of Machines was Modular. I still prefer the now closed Reset, but Modular has taken full advantage of its unrivalled position, expanding to Bar Lido next door which is more of a traditional club vibe (more tables, larger space, more trendy music) but is reachable down the same alley with the same entry fee. Modular is still way more popular as on Thursday Night it was quite crowded when I left around 2:15, and on Saturday it was already a 15-person line when I arrived at 12:30. The line moves quickly, mostly because there is no real crowd control. Great ventilation, ample bartenders and again the right vibes of people in the place make it all still work though. The options here are more limited than other major cities for sure, but Cape Town’s reliable nightlife is every bit still as reliable.

Pt. 2 – The New

Why did I hop around a bit? Because I want to talk about what new things I did over these two days as well. Actually first, let’s do a quick interlude…

Pt. 1.5 – The Old & New

When I visited Cape Town in 2020, I left my personal phone in an uber. I still had my work phone and through that was able to get in touch with the driver who said it wasn’t in the uber and either (1) the next passenger took it or (2) he was lying. Well, this time around on Thursday I left both my phones in an uber. I realized quickly, but with both phones it was tough to do anything. I tried calling my work number (my personal was on airplane mode) 4-5 times, and when we got back to our AirBNB I tried to no avail to contact the driver through Uber or other means (all 2FA options basically required me needing one of my phones). Somehow, on maybe the 10th attempt at calling my phone, he picked up. If anything he was cautious, wanting specific details on where he picked us up and dropped us off before agreeing it was indeed me. We scheduled to meet at 9pm, where he promptly showed up at 9:03 and gave back both phones. Anyway, this is a long way of saying we were supposed to go to Miller’s Thumb for dinner Thursday (old, been there, it’s great) but because of this we couldn’t, and ended up at a place called Mano’s.

Pt. 2 – The New, return

Mano’s is right around the corner from our AirBNB, on Main Road in Green Point. It was always full with a mix of young and old folks. It seemed enticing. It also allowed me to stay close enough to meet the Uber Driver with my phones. It was a last minute call, but it was pretty good. We split a smoked salmon salad, a Mozabiquan Prawn Curry and really, really well cooked sliced lamb chops. This was on the face of it the type of place that would mess up lamb chops like that, but they served them confidently with nothing but lemon, and they were great. Mano’s is the type of place I frankly just haven’t gone to in Cape Town, moreso focusing on places that are more touristy and flashy and what not. But if I were to live here, I would need places like Mano’s so its certainly cool to realize that not only do they exist, but they’re pretty great.

The other main "new" these last days was the Neighborghoods Market which is only open on Saturday and Sunday in the Old Biscuit Mill, the same area that The Pot Luck Club is located. The market itself is far better for its food than its good - with most of the wares for sale the same stuff available any day at The Watershed in the Waterfront. However, the food and the great sense of community and living and joy en masse that is gathering there because of the food, is phenomenal. We didn;t to in search of food, but it all looked so good that we already decided to come back Sunday for our lunch. The market has live music, a couple full bar stalls and then a large warehouse with food stalls everywhere and rows of tables in the middle. It was such a cool, vibrant scene, that I truly can't believe I hadn't seen it before. Even on your sixth time, there are a few hidden gems within Cape Town left to uncover.

About Me

I am a man who will go by the moniker dmstorm22, or StormyD, but not really StormyD. I'll talk about sports, mainly football, sometimes TV, sometimes other random things, sometimes even bring out some lists (a lot, lot, lot of lists). Enjoy.