Sunday, October 6, 2019

2019 Asian Trip: Day 15 - Hanoi


Day 15 – The Last Leg

I have to say, saving a very tourism-heavy day for the last full day of the trip is an odd move, but to some degree it helped motivate me to actually do things and venture out instead of wallowing in my own self pity that my trip is ending. I have to say, doing two week trips might be a perfect length as by the end of it, you are a combination of tired and content enough to actually be ready to go back home. But before we get to the going back home, there was one last city to explore, a few more meals to consume, and one more night to enjoy.

I had a set list of places to visit, hoping to time things to factor in avoiding the heat, the ever-present mid day torrential rain. The first was the Tran Quoc Pagoda. This was the first of three pagodas I would visit today, and I can safely say after two weeks chock full of pagodas and temples, I have seen my fill. What was nice for Hanoi is many of the temples are built on the edge or inside the many lakes that fill the city. This one was off the edge of the main West Lake, with a very nice little bridge leading from the road to the temple. The pagoda itself was small, but nice, with a lot of bonzai trees and drums and it was really nicely built into its ecosystem. The ones in Hanoi were more touristy than those in Ho Chi Minh, but when the setting is so beautiful, it is hard to blame people.

My next stop was the Ho Chi Minh Musuem – named after the President and leader of the Vietnamese rebellion. The museum was housed inside a giant park that was very hard to navigate, and I didn’t want to spend any more time outside than needed given the quickly escalating humidity. I don’t know of Hanoi is more humid, but I definitely reacted to it more, strangely getting less used to the humidity as the trip went on.

The Ho Chi Minh Museum was quite well made, but in a weird way I didn’t know what a lot of it was about. There were a few exhibits that were quite easy to follow, such as one about the whole revolution and another on the rebuild of post-war Vietnam (that one in particular was quite interesting as it was an angle I hadn’t seen before). Then there was a large open room in the middle with a giant statue of Ho Chi Minh. Other than those two, I wasn’t quite sure what the main floor was about.

There were randomly assorted artifacts and sculptures and recreations of homes and villages and farm equipment, with no real discernable pattern or theme. It was all very well staged in a long room that encircled the open hall with the statue, but I was not sure what I was seeing. Some of them got even stranger, like one art piece which was a giant table with fruit on top of it (not real, but made of something), and no explanation on what this was supposed to be showing.

Even if I couldn’t follow it, being inside the well air conditioned building more than made up for any potential issues. I was actually sad to leave this little place of the unknown.

After the museum, I went to the next pagoda, which was called in English the Temple of the Jade Emperor pagoda, which has a completely different name in Vietnamese and so was almost impossible to find in the ‘Grab’ app – Southeast Asia’s answer to Uber. I did find it, but it was also by an area that was closed to cars so I had to be dropped off a few blocks away. This area near one of the smaller lakes at the edge of the Old Town seemed like it was being set up for some event later in the day.

The temple was similar to the first pagoda, but a little larger and more ornate. There was a really grand entrance gate which led to a long bridge to the main temple. I was really impressed at how many dies of the temple had, all with different aspects, be it a lot of trees or the main area with the statues of Confucius and other deities, or ornate carving. If it wasn’t oppressively humid, I probably would have stayed longer.

After this, and with the sky getting increasingly dark, I went for lunch hoping to time it well to avoid rain. The only restaurant left on my list that I really wanted to check out was Cha Ca Tuch Long, deep in the heart of old town. This restaurant basically serves one dish, a fried lemon and cumin spiced fish cut into pieces grilled on a plate in front of you. This isn’t like a Korean bbq place, as the wait-staff does all the cooking. Before bringing the pan with the fish, they bring out various bowls, with basil, green onion, rice noodles, chili and peanuts and a fish sauce, and then a large bowl of beans which get put into the pan. They do all this for you the first time, putting a chunk of the rice noodles into your smaller bowl, add a bit of the basil and green onion and others into the dish, and then after a while will take some of the beans and one piece of the fish and tell you to pour some sauce and eat. Honestly, this was all a great show, but the taste was truly incredible.

After lunch, I went to probably the most interesting of my stops during the day, the Hoa Lo Prison, which has now been turned into a museum showcasing the very real horrors that took place in that building. However, what made it interesting was the first two-thirds of the museum detail the tortuous conditions the Vietnamese prisoners were put under when the French Colonials ruled and were fighting to stop any revolutionary concerns and the final third was showcasing the use of the prison during the Vietnam war, when the Vietnamese took US soldiers prisoner – but of course that half was, rather starkly, white-washed. There were photos of US soliders being tended to medically, paying volleyball, cajoling with their captors.

Now, I can definitely believe the US soldiers were kept in better conditions relative to the Vietnamese prisoners decades earlier, in large part because there is more to gain by portraying better living conditions, but these photos and memorials (including unsurprisingly a lot about John McCain) clearly show a very biased view of how it all went down.

From the prison, I went to the Temple of Literature, a giant temple complex in the middle of the city. I have to say, when you get outside the masked thumb of the Old Town, Hanoi is quite wide open and developed, much like Ho Chi Minh. The Temple of Literature is a large complex of first greenery, then a long pond, then two temple areas with the one at the end requiring legs covered and no photos and all that. There were some tour groups getting long tours of the temple – a good sign of how large it was that it could require a full probably 30 or 60 minute tour.

After this my final stops were shopping related, wanting to pick a few random wares from the various street market and craft stores that all sell stuff made by regional tribes in Vietnam. All the stuff is fairly clean and decent, and haggling becomes a nice little game. Other than a few roadside wares, I went to a couple stores that sell local handicrafts straight from villages – I did a bit of Googling to ensure this is true and not a ruse. The first was Craft Strip, which was nicely located right next to the Temple of Literature. The more effective one, if a place that had a whole host of random stuff, was Emporium, which also nicely had their outlets in Tay Ho near the hotel. Prior to the Emporium, I checked out Furbrew, one of the few fully Hanoi-run craft beer spots in Hanoi – most as mentioned are Western owned, and some that aren’t are transplants from Ho Chi Minh.

Furbrew was quite good, with a really large selection for such a small shop. I do wonder if it may struggle as it was fairly empty despite it being near 6pm on a Saturday. The final beer bar I went to, which was after dinner, was at Standing Bar – this place served a collection of Vietnam craft beer on tap, including some from Pasteur Street and Furbrew itself. The place was small (though there was a second floor which I didn’t see), but really nicely set-up with large oil-cylinders as tables and a very metal-heavy theme. I’ll say that Ho Chi Minh may have overly commercialized the craft beer experience where the places are known more for the hang or the food, but both Hanoi and Taipei have it down lock.

For dinner, I went back in a time a bit, going to Hanoi’s location of the HOME restaurant chain which I went to in Ho Chi Minh. The décor was different, instead of a more modern look, it was built in an old style colonial home, with an outdoor area with the famous Vietnamese lanters on top. It was far more crowded than the Ho Chi Minh version, so I could only get a seat inside. Surprising to me, the menu was quite a bit different. I got a mango, pomelo and seafood starter which was great, though a bit sad as the only seafood were prawns. For my main, I got a grilled duck breast, minced with lime, mint and other herbs. It was amazing, a preparation of duck I hadn’t had before, and though it is too early to place it in the context of the overall trip, it was a great capper for my last meal in Vietnam and further cemented Vietnam in my mind as a culinary goldmine.

My final stop in Vietnam was Savage – I will say part of the allure is it is walking distance from the Sheraton. But also, the atmosphere is just really strong there. Tonight there were more locals than yesterday, and the crowd was more into the back room heavier EDM stuff than the house mix out front, but it was another great time where even as I stayed until about 2:15, I was leaving squarely in the middle of.

As my time in Vietnam comes to an end, I have to say I enjoyed everything aside from the oppressive humidity, but I think that is something more at issue with me than with the country. Aside from that, everything else was strong, be it the food, the beer, the culture, the sights, the ease of getting around the cities (way less traffic than say Bangkok), and I was continually surprised at how developed it was. Because of the timing of my trip, I missed out on the middle chunk fo Vietnamese tourism – Hoi An, Hue, Danang, etc. – so I probably will be back one day. I just hope when I do, I can sneak in a day or two at Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi to take in a few balloons, get a craft mug, see a temple, and eat some truly damn good food.

About Me

I am a man who will go by the moniker dmstorm22, or StormyD, but not really StormyD. I'll talk about sports, mainly football, sometimes TV, sometimes other random things, sometimes even bring out some lists (a lot, lot, lot of lists). Enjoy.