Tuesday, October 1, 2019

2019 Asian Trip: Day 11 - Luang Prabang


Day 11 – Lost among the elephants

Today was a day to be a tourist, of course excepting what that really means in a remote little Laotian slice of heaven. There are a few tourism staples here. I wouldn’t necessarily say what I did today is among those – certainly it isn’t on the firtst page. But after experiencing it, I do wonder why it wouldn’t be.

One of the ancient names of Laos can be translated to loosely read ‘the land of a million elephants’ as historically there were over a million elephants in this little country. Today, as we learned during our tour of the Elephant Village, there are roughly 800 left in the country – half in captivity, half still in the wild; though they will go to great lengths to state how those in the wild are probably worse off.

There doesn’t seem to be a lack of elephant tours around. Elephant Village is the more budget of the two that were advertised in my AirBNB hosts very handy guide to Luang Pra bang, a guide that has either run in parallel with my own research ore opened it up to things like this tour. The budget version isn’t necessarily cheap – it was 45 USD – but coming with it is a trip to the Elephant Park, getting a chance to feed, bathe and ride the elephants, a river sampan to the Tae De waterfall (the lesser of the two waterfalls in the area) and an hour in the gorgeous Tae De Waterfall. Overall, a pretty good deal for a tour that doesn’t include any strange hawkerish heritage stops (I have to say, something that is far less in Vietnam and Laos than I wouild have expected).

The tour stars early, as it gets you back fairly early, still ready to enjoy most of the day in Luang Prabang and surrounding areas. Of course, since I was staying  in an AirBNB that while centrally located included no real distinguishable, shareable address, there was a mix-up in getting picked up. Luckily, the phone number they gave me to contact the Central office worked, and I was able to get rescued and picked up next to the nearby Wat Xieong Thong – probably the only Wat name worth remembering.

In the end, we left for the Elephant Village around 9am, with a Chinese woman and her two parents, and a young couple and kid from Spain joining as well. The rid was fairly quick, if a bit rougher than the one to the Pak Ou caves the day before, which makes it fortunate to be in a AC-enabled van instead of an open-air tuk-tuk. While the road quality was poor, it was still quite cool to pass such lush hills of jungle on either side.

The elephant village is 30 minutes away from the Luang Prabang city, tightly located on either sides of the other river that runs through the area, with one side being the welcome center, restaurant, lodge, feeding area, ‘hospital’, and the other the jungle where the elephants spend most of their time. This place stresses all over that they are looking to save and treat these elephants well, and by all accounts they do. They have copious amounts of food for them, they are allowed basically 75% of the day off, they get daily health checkups, and they aren’t strapped with overbearing harnesses.

The tour starts with feeding, where we take giant banana tree trunks and feed them to the 10 or so female elephants that are here for the day. These things are so strangely regal – my everlasting thought when around them was how cool is it that these animals exist? We fed them by holding out the trunk to their, well, trunk and then they used that trunk to maneuver it to their mouth. It was a beautifully funny process, and quite exhilarating. We were situated in a terrace where the elephants could come up and almost lean in with their heads. They were well trained to be around himans, so it was all just a load of fun.

After the feeding, the elephants took off to the other side of the river, while we learned a bit about the history of the Laotian elephant and the work that the Elephant Village was doing. I am not close enough to really judge if they follow through on their process of ‘saving elephants through responsible tourism’ that is plastered everywhere.

We then took a quick sampan across the riverbank to reach the elephants on the other side for about a 30-minute stroll on top of the elephants. We each got our own elephant, and own elephant rider. The elephants were on a leisurely stroll thoruhg the jungle, and I have to say, it took a few minutes to get used to their movements. I put my trust in the rider behind me, and the fact that these are giant strong animals, but yes I did think a few times I might fall off into the Laotian jungle.

After a while, the rider jumped off to take photos, which was all the more unnerving, but again these beautiful creatures were still quite good and getting us through the 30 minute out and back course. I was a bit sad to get down, especially since I thought this was the end of the elephant portion of our tour, but instead there would be a little surprise at the end.

After the elephant walk, we all took a larger sampan for a 15-minute serene ride down to the Tae De Waterfalls – a popular tourist destination by itself that you can reach independent of the elephant tour. The Tae De waterfall is a series of cascading pools and waterfalls, all in a serene turquoise. You can swim in all of them, climb from one to the other, zipline above them (sadly, didn’t have enough cash on me), and experience all of this beauty. I had no real expectations of this place because it was by far the second most talked about waterfall in the Luang Prabang area.

Despite its lesser notice (and, by the way, this makes me really excited for tomorrow when I go to the main waterfall), it was so beautiful and unexpected. It was well shaded so it was fairly cool anyway, but the water was not too cold, and really fresh. You could get right up to the rocks that separate one level from the next and let the water just run over you.

The toughest challenge for me was contorting my body and getting solid enough footing in the pools to be able to take a photo while in them. I definitely tested my sense of one-armed balance, and also one small time semi-tested Samsung’s reported waterproof functionality. Outcome: they might be on to something.

After this we took the sampan back to the Elephant Village for a lunch – a nice homecooked meal of rice, chicken curry (yellow curry, as far as I could tell). Following lunch was the ride back to Luang Prabang, first with the ability to say goodbye to the elephants and feed them one last time, which was more emotional than I wouild have expected.

I had a few hours to play with in Luang Prabang before my daily afternoon trio of beer, people watching and R&R. Nicely, the tour dropped me off right at the steps of the Wat Xiaong Thong, which was a spot on my list of places to visit anyway. This is probably the largest Wat in Luang Prabang proper, and the only one to charge an entrance fee (20k Kip). They also were supposed to require men to cover their legs, and had ready-made clothes to allow people to do this, but for whatever reason the seemingly dispirited person at the front let me in in my swimming trunks.

The Wat complex is large, with three or four temples all worth exploring. I love the fact that they didn’t care too much about people taking photos, as long as you were quiet and took your shoes off. The painting on the inside in each one was tunning, as were the regality of how they looked from the outside. It’s a quick walk and snap (pictures) spot, but well worth it, even if it is a bit hard to reach from a conventional place.

After a quick stop at the AirBNB I was off again, this time towards the more conventional areas, to get a quick bite before exploring the shopping angle of it all. Even the last ‘touristy’ thing on my list – the TAEK museum/arts center – is more about shopping. That center was in the base of Mt. Phousi – the large hill smack dab in the middle of Luang Prabang. It is a three room museum, basically introducing Laos’s four main ethnic groups, and their individual legacy of arts, handicrafts and music. It s avery quick visit, but still quite interesting to learn the complex history of such a small country.

Of course, right after you leave the final room (the music one), you enter a room where they sell you modern creations based on these four ethnic tribes. The wares are nice, and as I would alter learn, not surprisingly marked up here compared to the stores in the town. It did serve as a natural lead in to my shopping. After pre-booking an extra bag for my flight back to Hanoi (I already get two on the way back to Newark) I thought to myself fully that I would need to fill said bag, and so far I have bought nothing. That changed.

There are many crafts, textiles, curios and art stores around the main walks for Luang Prabang, ranging for normal tourist bargain basement stuff to fairly ornate handcrafted stuff. I played for the middle – first trying to fill my desire of getting coasters. In Laos coasters are mainly cloth, which makes them a bit more exciting than getting the standard carved stuff I normally do. What I also got was a bottle of Laotian Rice Whiskey, a few face cloths, bamboo straws, and of course still awaiting the right set of coasters – an item that is surprisingly expensive (relative to other stuff) than I would have expected.

After a bit of shopping, I went back for my usual R&R at the AirBNB. I also got a nice gift from the hosts as they didn’t have anyone coming in tomorrow so they told me I could check out at 5pm when I have to leave for my flight – something I terribly do not want to think about let alone do as leaving this slice of heaven will be tough.

After a bit, I strolled down the main plank to Bamboo Tree, my dinner destination, enjoying the far cooler Laotian night air – a good 20 degrees F cooler than in the day. Bamboo Tree is known as one of the best authentic Laotian restaurants that is still modern and western enough for a lot of tourists to go there. Basically, it isn’t a hole in the wall, but cooks incredibly down to earth Lao food.

For a starter, I had a Lao take on a regular Thai soup. It had minced chicken (could have sworn by taste it was pork, but I defintieyl asked for chicken). It was a bit spicier than the Thai counterpart (for real), despite me asking for ‘Medium Lao’ spicy, which was 2nd highest of four (with Lao spicy as the spiciest, and standard medium as the lowest). It was plated great on a large bamboo platter with a collection of sauces you can pour into the soup. My main was a ginger pork, with more real ginger than I ever could have imagined. Overall, Lao food is quite incredible.

After dinner, I went to the Night Market to see if I can get a last bit of hawkering on, which I did to the tune of coasters (!), which were unsurprisingly cheaper (and likely poorer quality) in the night market, and also some tea to take back home. Then I went back to Tangor, which is probably the best people watching spot on the main drag, and just has an incredible vibe in the place. I chatted a bit with the French owner who moved to Luang Prabang five years ago and hasn’t left. He seemed thrill someone complimented him on the plating, and told me to send all my friends here. After two full days in Laotian paradise, I will take him up, if not come back myself.

About Me

I am a man who will go by the moniker dmstorm22, or StormyD, but not really StormyD. I'll talk about sports, mainly football, sometimes TV, sometimes other random things, sometimes even bring out some lists (a lot, lot, lot of lists). Enjoy.