Tuesday, October 1, 2019

2019 Asian Trip: Day 10 - Luang Prabang


Day 10 – Living Lao

I’ll start this one off by a question, one that I pondered a few times during the day. Namely, is this the most remote place I had been to. The one that immediately came to mind I mentioned yesterday in El Calafate, which georgraphically was quite similar, with most of the restaurants and hotels being on one or two roads. That place too is also stylistically at least in the middle of nowhere. It required a 10-hour flight to Santiago, a further three hour flight to Punta Arenas, and then a six hour drive from Punta Arenas. There are easier ways to get there, but even then, you truly are in the middle of nowhere.

This might beat that. Now, of course there are villages deep within the Amazonian jungles that no visitor has ever set foot in. Let’s remove all of those. If we talk about places one may reasonable travel, I don’t know if anything feels as remote, as isolated – in a good way I should note – as Luang Prabang.

Of course, just like with El Calafate, the irony is a lot of the tourism requires you leave the city and go even more remote, down one-lane Laotian roads. But before I did that and ventured out of the compound, first I walked all over the current compound. My AirBNB was situated on one end of ‘The Peninsula’, Luang Prabang’s main area. From there, it was a 10-minute walk along the Mekong to Saffron, one of the many, many coffeeshops and breakfast spots on the drag. Other than it being relatively fancy, there’s nothing truly unique about Saffron, but ti was a nice start none-the-less. The more fascinating feeling was being back aside the Mekong, a good near thousand of miles away from where I was first along-side it in the Mekong Delta. Much like Nile anchored my Egypt part of the vacation I took last year, the Mekong is doing so this year.

After breakfast was a walk to the National Museum, a strange open compound with the palace of the old king, a temple, and a theater. You are required to leave all belongings in a locker (including phones) before entering the palace part, which is sad as it took away a few photo opportunities. The grounds though were quite pleasant, as was the palace which is set-up as it was when the old King and Queen lived there. The strangest aspect was a room with a bunch of diplomatic gifst they received, including two different gifts from President Nixon giving them a Laotian flag that had been taken to the moon along with moon rocks.

Afterwards I walked down the main drag, which looks a bit different during the day. What you quickly notice is the ridiculous abundance of wats. Like a crazy amount. And they are all quite well maintained, with active monks trolling the grounds. I have no idea what they are named, and the most reputed of which I didn’t go to as it is right next door to my AirBNB and I will probably be able to easily go later. There’s one area on the main road that has two of them back to back. Those were probably the best of the lot I had seen. They all had signs saying you had to wear long pants, but no one really enforced what would have been quite an annoying rule given the heat that was a lot more present during the day.

After a bit of strolling around, I decided to treat mylseff to a nice massage. I first wandered sloppily into a couple of stores, none all to enticing in the dead heat of the night – figure I would try again at the Night Market either tonight or tomorrow night. The massage was exceelent, especially since they blasted the air conditioner in the room. They gave a nice complimentary team after. Laos is unnervingly cheap at times, here with the standard rate for a full body massage at 90,000 kip, or about 11 dollars.

After the massage I wandered around trying to find the best spot for lunch. Luang Prabang has a tremendous amount of restaurants for a town so small, all with fairly good reviews. I wouldn’t say too surprisingly most of the top rated restaurants on a tripadvisor aren’t great first as they usually are Western cuisine focused. However there is a tremendous amount of local food available. My two choices for lunch were between the Ben Rive Terrace restaurant, one on the road that borders the Mekong River – and has seating basically on a terrace overlooking it, and Tamarind, one that had a bit more authentic Lao food but no view.

I went with Tamarind, and I don’t regret it at all, other than being seated outside and it being really hot despite the hard work of an overhead fan – admittedly, this would have been a problem had a chosen the other place. The food was indeed locally authentic – the restaurant had a series of large shareable Laotian sampler options that were all sadly catered for 4-6 people. Instead, two dishes were ordered, both a buffalo-meat Laak (their version of Laab, the famous Thai minc ed dish), and then a sampler of Loatian sausages. Both were quite good, especially the sausage dish. For the laak, we had the option to choose it as mild / medium / very spicy / lao spicy. I chickened out and went very spicy, which was probably the correct choice not wanting to risk any stomatch issues. However, I do wonder how spicy Laotian Spicy would be, and similarly why there is zero middle ground between medium and very spicy.

After lunch I finally ventured outside of Luang Prabang, going to the Pak Ou caves. Out of all the standard touristy fare encircling Luang Prabang, this is one of the common ones while also being one of the lesser regarded of them. I can see why, though I think it was still worth a visit, especially if you are staying 3+ days here.

There are a few different options on how to get there, from tuk-tuk (not a classic tuk-tuk, but instead a pick-up wagon), to organized tour, to boat down the Mekong. The advantage of the tuk tuk is it is the quickest and cheapest and can just be a mode of transport (an organized tour will likely throw a few culture trips on the side) and a boat while pretty takes about twice as long there as it has to go upstream.

The tuk tuk was a pleasant enough ride especially after you leave the bustle of the city, and before I knew it we were there. On the way there were a few nice photo opportunities of the Mekong River and the lush hills on the northern side, and then at one point we passed a wandering elephant and elephant owner. Yeah, it is that type of remote.

We finally reached the Pak Ou village wehre you have to buy a ticket, walk down an unmarked road the water to take a boat to reach the caves on the other side. It is a lot of work, and since I came in the afternoon there was only a couple other tourists along with me (a lot of people come in the morning because it is usually a first stop on a lot of tour itineraries) so I was unsure, but after a while I just went with it figuring all roads lead to the caves.

The caves themselves are famous because inside them are hundreds of buddha statues ranging from small to fairly large. The oldest of them were found here and reportedly built centuries ago. The newest of them have been added by worshipers over the years. There are two caves, the lower one (more buddhas, but a smaller cave area), and the upper one (fewer buddhas, but more hauntingly cool). The upper cave required a fairly steep 10-min walk up stairs, but also allowed for numerous stops along the way to take pictures. Overall, the setting is beautiful, if the buddhas themselves a bit disappointing. I knew going in that that was the general consensus of the place, but it was still worth visiting and a decent way to start off my Luang Prabang tourism.

After a quic tuk-tuk ride back into town, I visited Utopia Bar to grab a view of the sunset. Utopia opens up to the banks of the smaller river that envelops Luang Prabang, and is probably the most popular night spot in the city (so I’ve read). It was fairly packed across its sprawling multi-level indoor/outdoor layout, filled with all tourists, and mostly westerners, though again very few if any American accents. The view was great, the drinks were cold (so, basically, great). Their menu seemed quite good, though this was purely a drink stop. With tons of beanbag chairs around, it reminded me a lot of similar establshments I had been to in Goa. Overall, Utopia was a great way to spend the late afternoon, and I probably will return tomorrow night to see what it is like at night.

After a brief R&R at the AirBNB, including a great coffee on the porch overlooking the streets of Luang Prabang, I headed out by tuk-tuk to Manda de Lao. It is probably the most upscale Laotian restaurant in Luang Prabang (there’s more fancy/expensive restaurants serving Western food), so fancy enough it actually has a couple very popular tasting menus. I went with the longer of the two (about $40 USD), and it was awesome.

It wasn’t served like a conventional tasting menu, with each course of four appetizers and five mains coming out altogether in little bites. The appetizers were a lightly grilled and marinated chicken leg, a pork laak ball, a fish lime salad and a fish spring roll. All were quite good – my favorite maybe surprisingly was the grilled chicken leg.

The mains were a lot to take in, though eah was quite good. There was a grilled BBQ pork ribs, a set of sliced beef with tamarind sauce, a baked fish in banana leaf, a salad of lime and chili vegetables, and an eggplant-based chicken stew. These were all probably slightly larger than a normal tasting menu portion, but together still worked nicely. More than a tasting menu, it was probably a one-person-sized sampler, but it was excellent.

The dessert might have been the best dish out of all of them, a local banana based dumpling, which was outstanding. Overall, the whole meal was served with all tables encircling a giant lily pond that was lightly lit up and looked beautiful. I can’t imagine what it would look like during the day. Manda de Lao lived up to all expectations.

After dinner, I walked a few blocks to 525 Cocktail & Tapas, an indoor-outdoor cocktail bar deep in Luang Prabang, a few blocks away for the main drag. The place was well adorned, and served quite good cocktails with a Loatian twist. The place was about 1/3rd full. I asked the  bartender and he said I am in the tail end of the slow period, or in a better way the beginning of the heavy period. He said places like this – or even Manda de Lao – would be packed in a few weeks. If that is the case, I’m happy I came now, getting to experience Luang Prabang like I’m one of a few dozens who know a secret.

About Me

I am a man who will go by the moniker dmstorm22, or StormyD, but not really StormyD. I'll talk about sports, mainly football, sometimes TV, sometimes other random things, sometimes even bring out some lists (a lot, lot, lot of lists). Enjoy.