Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Why I Loved Last Night's Game, Pt. 2

Two years ago, the Cardinals tied the Seahawks 6-6 in a memorable (if for the wrong reasons) game. I wrote then that I loved the game, the best version of defensive football we could get in 2016 NFL.

Two years later, despite 2017 being what is a sseming bizarre aberration, offenses have taken over even more. I am a defense fan at heart. That all said, I loved every second of yesterday's epic 54-51 win by the Rams over the Chiefs.

By the way, this doesn't mean I've come around to the offensive explosion. I hate the fact there are like twelve QBs with a passer rating above 100, including five above 110. I hate that the average QB has a passer rating of 95 this season. I hate that scoring is at an all-time high. I hate all of it. I hated the Bucs 48-40 Week 1 win over the Saints, where open receivers ran left and right for sixty minutes.

Yesterday wasn't that though. Just as the Seahawks and Cardinals defenses took it on themselves to outplay each other in 2016, so did these offenses. The defenses were not good, but they weren't horrible either. It was brilliant scheming by McVay and Reid, mixed with brilliant talent. It was 21 points on defensive scores. I can't believe I saw a game that was 54-51, but also included eight sacks and seven turnovers.

Only one TD was due to an out-and-out defensive embarrassment, the long TD to Tyreek Hill when the Rams safety slipped. The others were good scheme or great throws. The Chiefs were amazing, cominb back from 13-0 down and 40-30 down. The Rams were as good, not turning it over as much, Jared Goff staring down good pass rush to hit tight windows a few times.

The postgame twitter-verse was very split on this game - just like it was on the 6-6 game. The people I follow the most loved the game. I did too. I just also loved the 6-6 game two years ago.

My least favorite part of the NFL explosion is it turning into the NCAA, with gimmick offenses and games that end 48-38 taking four hours. Some of that is happening, but that wasn't yesterday. The Rams run 3-1-1 personnel 95% of the time. They are a traditional offense that is schemed and executed to perfection - much like hte great offenses of years past. Same with teh Saints, aside from the stupid Taysom Hill stuff. It's not just all college trickery.

Everyone wanted that type of game yesterday, but even for defense fans, that was the best version of a 54-51 game. Aaron Donald was unblockable. Samson Ekubam had two defensive TDs. Chris Jones was great. The Rams secondary made a few plays late. There were six punts even, in a game that was 54-51!

That game exceeded all expecatations of what a shootout is. The last time I remember being somewhat speechless after a game, with a 'what did I just watch' smile plastered to my face, was the 4th and 2 game in 2009. This obviously didn't have the politics, let's say, of Brady vs. Manning, but was so, so, so good.

I hope these two play again in teh Super Bowl. I'm sure Saints vs. Chiefs could be as good, but I love the fresh blood of the Rams and Chiefs. I want this to be the Super Bowl, even if it won't end 54-51 again. Though it just might.

About Me

I am a man who will go by the moniker dmstorm22, or StormyD, but not really StormyD. I'll talk about sports, mainly football, sometimes TV, sometimes other random things, sometimes even bring out some lists (a lot, lot, lot of lists). Enjoy.