Friday, August 31, 2018

2018 NFL: Power Rankings


They're bad, but on the whole not as bad as normal

32.) Miami Dolphins

Honestly, I don't think there is a truly dreadful team this year. Simple math would dictate that there will be some team to win 2 or 3 games. But maybe no team goes worse than 4-12. Anyway, I don't get what is happening in Miami. They've jettisoned so much talent from their 2016 playoff team - which already wasn't too talented and not as good as their record. Most of it under the auspices of improving the locker room, something I'm always skeptical of. I don't think Adam Gase is a very good head coach. I don't trust Ryan Tannehill. I think their o-line is a mess, and the defense is in its worst shape since the early Philbin years. I just don't think there's too much to like about Miami.


31.) Denver Broncos

Again, they don’t seem that bad, but the Broncos have lost a ton of talent since their 2015 Super Bowl team, and unless Bradley Chubb can be Demarcus Ware 2.0, the defense seems quite fallow all of a sudden. The OL is no better now than it used to be, and I really don’t think Case Keenum can match what he did last year. Honestly, I think serious questions will start being asked about John Elway – as they should be.


30.) Cleveland Browns

I’ll be surprised if they win fewer than three games – which isn’t saying much, but when they’ve gone 4-44 over the last three years (maybe even more depressing than either their 0-16 or 1-31). It will be interesting to see when Baker Mayfield takes over from Tyrod Taylor. I like Mayfield, I think he can be quite good in a few years. This year, though? Maybe not. If everyone stays healthy, and the defense gels, they could get to 6-10 or so – but having the defense gel is not something to rely on when Gregg Williams is keen to play base defense 70% of the time.


29.) Chicago Bears

If Mitchell Trubisky improves, he and the team can fly up this list, but that is sadly quite an if to me. I realize John Fox was running a 2003 offense, but I’m not going to just assume Matt Nagy is going to transform him. The defense if it can stay healthy can be decent, but that may be where losing Fox hurts honestly. The weapons are still average – it won’t help Trubisky’s development too much that the running backs are by far the best unit on offense.


28.) New York Jets

I really like Sam Darnold. I think the Jets found something here in him, and I expect the Jets, as of right now, to be the next non-Patriots team to win the AFC East. That still may be 2-3 years off. Their defense has slipped, though I expect Bowles to coach them up fairly well. I don’t see any great unit aside from the potential of a solid rookie campaign which will hurt, but there’s also no clear weakness.



Just Stuck In Nowhere

27.) New York Giants

I still have no idea why the Giants picked Saquon Barkley. I have no real opinions on Barkley the player – I assume he is very good. But how can you do that in the deepest QB draft in years. How can you rely on Eli Manning, a player who wasn’t even that good in the 11-5 season in 2016. He’s not good enough to carry a bad team anymore. Sure, we can see some turnaround by the defense, but I figure most of the players that were on that 2016 defense were also on the 2017 defense and are now older.


26.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers

This is clearly influenced by Jameis being out three weeks, but even with him, I’m not sure what the future holds for Tampa. This is Year #4 for Jameis. He’ll probably get at least a Year #5 before the Bucs think about cutting him loose, but he seems to be no better than above average, and the team is not able to coalesce around him. The good players (Evans, David, McCoy) are mostly aging by this point. Also, there’s a bunch of teams now that have younger QBs, and are timed to peak at a more optimal time than Tampa. Luckily for the Bucs, they aren’t alone…


25.) Tennessee Titans

Most of what I wrote about Tampa is also true of Tennessee, the team who drafted the guy right after Jameis in Marcus Mariota. Look, I think Mariota is OK, but he was not that good in 2017 – worse than 2016 in the same shit scheme. My pessimism is more that I have zero expectations for Mike Vrabel the head coach. He seems someone who’s been rushed into that job without having a long history to go off of. That said, that described Doug Pederson as well.



The Interesting Reclamations

24.) Buffalo Bills

I’ll give the Bills credit for sticking with the plan to draft a QB when they finally made the playoffs. The 2017 Bills got massively lucky to make the playoffs. They were not a good team. They did not have a long term plan. I don’t know if Josh Allen is that long term option, but it has a better chance than Tyrod Taylor. Plus, I do like Sean McDermott the coach; hopefully he has the backing of ownership to go out and develop Allen and not make the playoffs the next 2-3 years.


23.) Arizona Cardinals

Similar to the Bills, the Cardinals re-set a lot despite having a competitive team. They were more forced into it with Arians’ and Palmer’s retirements. I don’t know how I feel about Bradford as a stop-gap, but excited to see what happens with Josh Rosen. I really wish Arians was still there – a perfect coach for Rosen. I still like a lot of the team, but the overall competency of the league, and the tough division, and the rookie QB, puts them slightly down.


22.) San Francisco 49ers

I feel like I have to more defend why I have them so low. Primarily it is because I’m not ready to crown Jimmy Garoppolo as the greatest QB in the league. Garoppolo threw a lot of interceptable passes last season and got fortunate. He had some good games, he had a good record. He’s not going 16-0 this season. The team’s talent is still limited. They’ll be better, but against a tough schedule, in a tough division, I won’t be surprised if they go a relatively disappointing 7-9.


21.) Kansas City Chiefs

I feel like the general consensus is that Mahomes is going to be great, and that the Chiefs were 100% right to cast aside Alex Smith (following a year he led the NFL in passer rating). Andy Reid is a brilliant coach. He may well be right. He probably is right when you expand your assessment period beyond just 2018. That said, we’ve been down this road with Reid before, when they let McNabb go in 2010, replacing him with 2nd year 2nd round pick Kevin Kolb. That was a disaster – luckily Mike Vick stepped in. There’s no Mike Vick in Kansas City.


God Only Knows

20.) Oakland Raiders

If they actually trade Khalil Mack, or he holds out, fire them all the way back to 27th. If he reports or they sign him, I truly have no idea what the 2018 Raiders will be. I can’t imagine Gruden is actually dumb enough to use a 1998 playbook in 2018. I think he can be good for Derek Carr, who was still above average last season. This team is better than the 2017 version, though not as good as the 2016 teams’ record. If Mack plays, if they go anywhere from 4-12 to 11-5, I wouldn’t be surprised.


19.) Detroit Lions

For some reason, I don’t have the usual scepticism on Patricia that I normally have for ex-Belichick assistants as head coaches. I do think, though, that we underrate the stability of the Jim Caldwell-era Lions. Stafford is still a very good QB, but I don’t think the rest of the team is there to push them back to the playoffs. There’s also going to be some adjustment period here going from a plaid coach like Caldwell to whatever the hell Patricia is.


18.) Washington Redskins

God, it annoys me how competent each team feels. Ranking some of these teams in the bottom half of the league was really tough. Specifically here with Washington. I like the move for Alex Smith, seemingly a lower-ceiling player than Kirk Cousins – but Alex Smith admittedly was a great QB last year. I honestly think he can improve them. The rest of that team is patently average. If they stay healthy, they can have a great season, but health is impossible to predict, and a team with little depth is terrifying.


17.) Indianapolis Colts

This is purely based on faith in Andrew Luck and Frank Reich; and TY Hilton; and the OL. The defense is trash. I’m still made they passed on Bradley Chubb for Quentin Nelson – no matter how HOF-ready Nelson seems.


Highly Variable Fodder

16.) Seattle Seahawks

It’s hard to believe how different the 2018 Seahawks are from even the 2017 Seahawks. The Legion of Boom is totally dead. The only remaining key defender from their 2013-14 heyday is Bobby Wagner. It’s depressing really. I hate the Seahawks for making me feel old. I feel like I grew up on the Legion of Boom, and they’re gone entirely. Super Bowl XLVIII seems like it was yesterday.


15.) Houston Texans

Even more than Deshaun Watson, getting JJ Watt back in my life is what is making me probably overrate the Texans. Watt was so incomprehensibly good from 2012-2015 it is hard to put into words or stats. His average year from 2012-2015 included basically as many sacks and hurries as Aaron Donald’s last two seasons (h/t to Bill Barnwell for that one). Watson is also a great prospect, and the Texans have an incredibly high ceiling. That said, out of the teams I’ve lumped together here, they probably have the lowest floor too (putting aside the likelihood Luck gets hurt again).


14.) Cincinnati Bengals

Is it weird I’m kind of into the Bengals a good two years after the Marvin Lewis era peaked. Can’t we just get excited for Year 16 of the Marvin Experience! Honestly, I think the Bengals are fairly decent, a team with no obvious holes in their roster. They have had a draft-and-develop program for a numbers of years now, and whether it be William Jackson or John Ross, I like the current set of players ready to take off.


13.) Baltimore Ravens

Is it weird I like the Ravens even more than the Bengals? Seriously. That defense is still good. The alignment of weapons of Crabtree, Willie Snead and John Brown seems better to me than it really should. That shouldn’t work, but it does fit Flacco’s limited strengths. Flacco can ruin all of this, but their defense and special teams was already good enough to win nine games and come within a miracle of making the playoffs.


Intriguing Competency

12.) Dallas Cowboys

Going with my head, the Cowboys should be a really good team. They were a well deserved 9-7 last year with multiple injuries, a drop-off in Prescott’s play, and missing Zeke Elliott for six games (gong 2-4 in those games). My worry though is that their OL is starting to show some cracks (really sad what happened to Frederick) and the receivers are garbage. I am starting to like their defense, which defines competency.


11.) Jacksonville Jaguars

It pains me they are stuck with Blake Bortles. I’ll say they gave him a very fair contract, not overpaying for average play. Average Bortles gives them enough at QB to make a good run again with a defense that looks to be no worse than it was last year. It would be nice if Fournette plays like a top pick, and Bortles show any level of consistency. Probably too much to ask for, though.



A QB + A Little Goes A Long Way

10.) Los Angeles Chargers

The Chargers were quietly a great defense last year, and shouldn’t be any worse this year – though the preseason injury to Jason Verrett sucks. Philip Rivers quietly had a great season last year. They should have been a wild card team, if not outright AFC West winner. I really like the Chargers, but they’ve already started having Chargers-esque things happen, like being bit more by injuries this preseason this any other team.


9.) Green Bay Packers

There’s really no reason outside of Aaron Rodgers to like Green Bay. Granted, that was true of the 2015-16 Packers, two 10-6 teams that made it to the divisional round and title game. I have no idea how Jimmy Graham will work out, but their receivers are fairly barren and new. The offense system has been made obsolete almost. The defense will be without Dom Capers for the first time in years. I have no idea if that is a good or bad thing, but in the end, they have Aaron Rodgers, a happy, well-paid one.


8.) Carolina Panthers

There seems to be a consensus that the hiring of Norv Turner was an insane decision. It may turn out that way. That said, I’m intrigued at a few of the similarities between Carolina and Turner’s great San Diego offenses – from having a star TE, to a RB who can catch passes, to a QB who likes to throw deep. The biggest difference is the OL; but then again these Panthers have a defense probably better than the 2007-2009 Chargers. For me, this has a chance to go well, and even if the offense is no better than last year, this is still a 11-5 team that beat Minnesota and New England in the regular season.


7.) Atlanta Falcons

I don’t know who the Falcons are. They are no worse on paper than the team that made the Super Bowl. There’s reason to flitter away their drop of 200 points from 2016-17, be it growing pains with Steve Sarkisian, or just natural regression from one of the great offenses ever. But 200 points is a lot. I fear we make too little of that drop-off. The defense got better, but is quite thin. The Falcons are a very, very good team, but you do start to worry the closest they’ll get is 28-3.


All the Pieces Are There

6.) Pittsburgh Steelers

The 2017 Steelers may have been the most uninspiring 13-3 team ever. IN reality, they were a bad call away from being a disappointing 14-2 team. I honestly don’t know if they’ll be better this year. Roethlisberger is still great, but did at times get more pick-happy in 2017 than he had been the previous three playoff years, honestly starting to remember his pre-Haley wildness. The defense is good, but never replaced Shazier. The Steelers still have loaded talent, but they seem to be stuck between better-than-their-record 11-5 or worse 13-3.


5.) New Orleans Saints

The 2017 Saints were so weird. They broke out of their 7-9 Fisher-esque slumber by having the greatest draft of all time. Now they’ll be missing Mark Ingram and hoping Kamara has a historic season again. The defense was good in 2017, but it will be interesting to see how sustainable that sudden rise is. Do rookie DBs Lattimore and Williams stay really good. Is Cam Jordan as good a second straight year. Finally, there’s Brees, who despite another good season, is showing signs of wear, threw shorter more often than ever. If needed, we may need to see a Brees closer to the 2014-2016 vintage. It all could happen, but it all easily may not also.


4.) Los Angeles Rams

There’s a lot of questions around the Rams for me. The roster is great, but aging at key positions, like their suddenly good OL. Can the trio of imports in Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib and Ndamukong Suh play well (especially Talib and Suh, who aren’t too young anymore). Finally, the big question comes down to how sustainable Jared Goff’s suddenly great play is. Goff was excellent in 2017, but so much of that seems to be specific spoonfeading from McVay – not that this is going way though. The Rams are a great team, in a win-now period that could get extended if Goff stays good and can pick up the slack when their expensive old FAs have to leave. But that is still a few years away.


I'm So Sick Of Them

3.) New England Patriots

Just please go away. This team, even with Tom Brady, by talent should not be nearly this good. But they will be.


NFC Title Rematch?

2.) Minnesota Vikings

Kirk Cousins doesn’t have to do anything different than be a Kirk Cousins-level player and the Vikings will be great, assuming reasonable health. Now, they had more than reasonable health last year, particularly on defense, but they’ve added nice depth (and Sheldon Richardson) to make their defense a bit more impenetrable. Cousins with Diggs and Thelein should be a great match. If their run-game can take a step up you have a truly great team. The defense will fall off, be it 2019 or 2020 or 2021, but for 2018, they are set up so well.


1.) Philadelphia Eagles

The Champs are always #1 for me. The Eagles, had Carson Wentz been obviously healthy for Week 1, may have been my #1 even if I didn’t abide by the ‘Champs are #1’ rule. They are no worse than last year’s team that was good at more or less everything. I like the buy-low Michael Bennett pickup. I like Sidney Jones as a new slot-corner. Having Jeffery out for three weeks is tough, but the rest of the players are still great. A healthy Wentz and they have a reasonable chance at back-to-back.

About Me

I am a man who will go by the moniker dmstorm22, or StormyD, but not really StormyD. I'll talk about sports, mainly football, sometimes TV, sometimes other random things, sometimes even bring out some lists (a lot, lot, lot of lists). Enjoy.