Monday, February 19, 2024

2024 Feb Trip: Day 1-2 - Turkey Awaits

This is a weird one. After last year's trip to Cape Town, where I tacked on four days at Victoria Falls with my parents, I realized that there is a great bit of luxury in adding a few days on to my normal President's Day trip to the Western Cape. Make it a week, make it a full vacation rather than a perverse, singularly weird version of a long weekend.

This year, I had a hard time picking where those additional days would be. First I tried for Madagascar, but that wouldn't work. Then Dubai, but that seemed too surface and didn't get the approval of friends. Finally, we settled on Turkey - Istanbul and Izmir namely. 

I had gone to Turkey - 17 years ago. There's a weirdness in saying that, both given (a) how little I remember of that trip given I was 16 (turned 16) and (b) it was more than half my life ago. I should remember it more, I guess. I remember Istanbul enough that when I first did my Top International City rankings in 2013, I ranked Istanbul #3. I've kept it number three, despite not having been there since. More than anything in this trip, I'm super curious if that ranking and feeling will get reinforced, or if I will realize I was way off on it.

Anyway, the trip started with a late upgrade to business class, and a quick trip to the Polaris Lounge in Newark. It was nice as always, just wishing I could've had more time. My only regret with picking Turkey as my first stop, and a route that takes me first to Frankfurt - my dreaded Europe red-eye. Luckily I have a three hour layover in Frankfurt, and a short hop to Istanbul to try to sleep enough. The flight was great, with a nice set of wines and and my choice of a schnitzel-type main for our 3-course meal hitting well.

The second fligth from Frankfurt to Istanbul (with a brief trip at a nice, but stripped down Lufthansa Club) was pretty harmless. In a full economy flight, but a nice meal of a turkish beef kebab with some veggies as the food, and decent movies to watch. Adding in some sleep and before I knew it we were landing at Istanbul's massive, and I mean truly massive, airport. What was funny is the airport is giant and we walk down these cavernous hallways from teh gate to the arrivals area, and the immigration area is "be careful you might miss it" small. Once past there and to the baggage claim and again you are in a cavernous hall.

The first impression of the drive from the airport to Istanbul was quite mixed. Mostly because of the weather, a misty gray that would remain for the night (but not really bother anything from occurring). Also your passing mostly empty fields and industrial area, but at some point you get over a hill and see the giant city of Istanbul splayed out in front of you, and it is quite mesmerizing. The endless minarets from the various mosques – the giant Blue Mosque standing out among all of them. The maw built into the hills around the Bosphorus. I got an up close and personal view of this on the drive to my Airbnb, which is up the hill from the river level. What I would soon learn is that there are two levels, essentially, the river level and then everything else. While there are some ups and downs in the everything else, it si more or less flat after you get past the 300 steps.

My dinner the first night was at Murver, an upscale a-la-carte spot about a 20 min walk (from river level). The walk over was nice, past the posh Galataport mall / open area, which was really well lit and shiny. Murver was on the rooftop of the Novotel, and had a really nicely designed menu of about 10 starter options and 10 mains. This is where coming alone has its drawbacks. I took two of the starters, a confit duck in harissa mix, which was nicely sweet and really good as a dip for bread, and then a fire roasted celeriac which some tangy Turkish sauces. Both great, and not too big to where I could still enjoy my main of braised beef cheeks with beet root, which was out of this world. Even the dessert, a black cumin and tahini ice cream with pumpkin cake, was awesome. These are the types of places I don’t go to enough, favoring the combination of tasting menu spots w/ food markets to balance cost, but it hit the sweetspot.

Also hitting the sweetspot was Flekk, a bustling cocktail bar on the edge of the buzzing Taksim neighborhood. Taksim is a bit mainstream (but also where a lot fo the clubs are), but Flekk was a bit off the main drag, next to a bunch of other bars & coffee shops. At first it was too crowded where I had to get my first cocktail outside. Wasn;t an issue since there were about 3-4 groups waiting, like me, and a slew of smokers coming in and out (lot of smoking in Turkey). After about 25 min I got a spot at the bar, which was great to watch the Flekk mixologists work. Nothing too fancy or crazy – just really good cocktails all featuring their homemade bitters of every conceivable flavor. My favorite was a mezcal based horchata type cocktail – too sweet to have more than one, but that one was the best glass of milk I’ve ever had.

From there I went to Taksim proper, getting to walk down a massive promenade that is made pedestrian only at night. It was a buzzing place of life – tons of people of all ages mixing (this was around midnight). I went to two places mainly, both of which were really well set-up with great music, but sadly too empty. The first was called Temple Club, which had all the elements of a great EDM spot. Basement of a restaurant, with a dark but super airy room, with an affordable bar and a great DJ. At most there were 20 people, but usually less. I asked the bartender what was up and she said that despite it being a weekend, Friday is just generally far less crowded than Saturday.

After going to another spot called The End, I think I have to agree. Granted, The End is closes at 8 am while most other clubs close at 4am, so I think it si truly catering to people looking for a last stop. Same setup with a good DJ and a good space, but not enough people. Running into random people in both spots and around that main Taksim drag gave some vitality to the night anyway, as did the perfect doner to end it off. I lived off doner kebab and adana kebab on my list time in Istanbul. I waited until 2:15am to have one this time, but man was it so damn good. After seeing it in Korea, Japan, Bangkok – Doner/Kebab/Gyro is the world’s late night drunk food, so there’s a certain bliss in having it in its true home.

About Me

I am a man who will go by the moniker dmstorm22, or StormyD, but not really StormyD. I'll talk about sports, mainly football, sometimes TV, sometimes other random things, sometimes even bring out some lists (a lot, lot, lot of lists). Enjoy.