Monday, September 5, 2022

2022 Asia Trip: Day 1 - The "First" Flight

In 2012, I went to Singapore as part of a class trip with NYU, flying on Korean Air to Singapore. My enterprising Dad decided to sign me up for Korean Air miles right before that trip, to which I earned about 12,000 miles. In about 2015 or 2016 or so, Korean Air sent me an offer for a credit card. Not really sure why, but they did - and I took it, grabbing another 40,000 miles. Back in those days, Korean Air had quite a few transfer partners (e.g. Chase Rewards), and through those I was able top drive my balance just over the 80,000 points it required to go first class from New York to Seoul. That was the target, the dream. Due to a combination of covid and Korean Air's more than liberal 10-year mileage expiry policy, it finally came true.

This flight is the start of a wider two week trip that was first planned for May 2020, planned in the sense that flights were booked, a few meals were reserved (particularly, Gaggan), and of course the intervening two years from May 2020 to now had about five different delays to the trip. Every time I was hopeful that maybe six months down the line, the world would allow me to finally take the trip. By this September, 2022, the world is ready. Most countries done away with vaccine or test requirements (Korea a slight exception, requiring a test on arrival). Most places open in full, and I was certainly ready to take advantage.

Before I could though, I was thrown one last hiccup. I was supposed to leave on Friday, September 2nd, through LA, but Wednesday night I realized that Korea was due to be hit by a typhoon from Saturday through to Tuesday. I would be arriving in the middle of it - which was OK because Seoul would be just getting rain, but the first two stops on my trip were Busan and Jeju Island, both right in the line of fire. In a scrambled 12 hours I rearranged parts of my trip, losing two days (and Busan in the process) and trading Jeju Island (which would be recovering from the typhoon) with Jeonju. This was largely a net negative, but the one positive is now the flight I had into Seoul was from JFK - a longer flight in first class and avoiding a six-hour flight to LA first.

Korean Air first class is my first true "first class" experience. I've flown business class a handful of times, even a few outside of United, such as Singapore (which I'll be doing again to end this trip - miles are a wondrous thing). I had seen some of the reviews so I had a decent idea of what to expect, and it still blew me away.

While the suite is not the giant overly luxurious suites that say Singapore Airlines has, it was a large space, with a big TV, a massive tray table (that required the flight attendant to lift it out), doors to give you decent privacy, and enough room to easily stretch out and sleep on whatever side you like. The amenities like their slippers, toiletery case, pajamas and all were excellent. The two elements that were just miles above anything I'd flown on previously was the spaciousness and comfort of the bed (again, it was basically a true twin bed size, which in plane terms is giant) and the food.

All I really knew coming in was the Korean Air first class was famous for their bibimbap, and I did partake and can agree with the many positive reviews. What I didn't realize is the first rate meal even outside those things. The food service started about 20 minutes after takeoff with a first drink and nuts, with me opting for what I assume is a fancy champagne (it was fancy enough my sister knew of it and basically ordered me to get it). From there they lay out a tablecloth on the tray table, and bring you sparkling metal cutlery, and another round of drinks, this time me opting for Johnny Walker Blue Label, something I've maybe had once or twice in my life. Here it was basically as much as I wanted.

The meal was basically five courses, the first being an excellent raw salmon and scallop with large rice crackers and avocado & caper cream cheese. It was something that truly belonged in a restaurant, both in terms of presentation and taste. Next was a cauliflower and asparagus soup, which was much tastier than it reads. I should mention these two and all the dishes were served on pristine china. Then was a lemon sorbet palate cleanser, before the bibimbap arrived.

I should note there were two other options for dinner, but how could I not get it, and I'm glad I did. What I was presented with was audacious in its size and taste. In the middle of the tray was the elements of the bibimbap sans rice, with the rice to the side and a squeeze packet of Gochujang. We were told to mix it all up. But aside from that centerpiece, was kimchi, pickled radishes (oddly my favorite single thing), a couple pieces of sliced braised short rib, and a seaweed soup. It was all great, it was all a bit overwhelming, and it lived up to its reputation.

After the main was a desert of very nice cheeses and fruit (admittedly, the fruit was standard fare). There was a set list of options of items available throughout the flight, for which I got ramen about 2/3rds of the way through the 14:30 flight. The ramen also was excellent, incredibly spicy which I wanted and served nicely with the picked radishes again. I took a risk on the breakfast, opting for the asian breakfast, but overall I'm happy I did. It was a pungent, tasty, fish and tofu soup - not sure how it was breakfast, but it made you warm and definitely full. Along with that was a course of cereal with milk and yogurt first, and fruit at the end. On the whole, I'm sure there are even more delectable first class dining options out there, but I can't imagine anything having the combination of the incredible quality and the almost comical quantity.

After the dinner, I eschewed immediate sleep trying to get something close to resembling a Seoul-timed sleep schedule, and held off for a couple more hours, but then gave in and had them do their turn-down service, with a multi-level mattress pad, comfy sheets and one of the softest pillows I've had on a flight. Again, by far the best bed I've had on a flight, which makes sense given this is first class and not United Polaris - or Singapore business.

The flight itself was a quick 14:30 - if anything I would've loved a few more hours in the paradise that was that Korean Air B777-300ER first class cabin, eight seats, two rows, and me feeling like a high roller. It's the magic of points, and in this case a 10-year odyssey finally coming true. From the false start two years ago (granted, Covid cancelled those plans about three months before the trip would have happened), to the dreams that point balance made me think of before it, there was a lot of buildup. Korean Air knocked it out of the park.

About Me

I am a man who will go by the moniker dmstorm22, or StormyD, but not really StormyD. I'll talk about sports, mainly football, sometimes TV, sometimes other random things, sometimes even bring out some lists (a lot, lot, lot of lists). Enjoy.