Monday, August 24, 2020

Trips I Want to Take, Pt 3

God I miss traveling. Hell, I miss it enough, I miss having to travel for work. There were countless annoyances from that weekly travel to various rural hellscapes that I would take back in a heartbeat. That said, beyond that travel, what I really miss is traveling for fun. Granted, it is probably safe enough to do in a socially distant way today if I really wanted to. I probably will take that leap in the next month or so. So, with that in mind, wanted to once again list out the trips I want to take, focusing on a few domestic ones for a while, as there is a good chance that's all that will be available to us poor Americans for a long, long time.


Domestic

Vermont/Maine

This is the one that has a chance of happening fairly soon. I'll cheat a bit as I've been to Maine somewhat recently, but even that wass a more urban trip to Portland than what we would look to do: get lost in teh wilderness for a bit. Probably not enough wilderness that we're outside the trappings of Modern life, but enough so to ensure we don't risk getting Covid. With that preamble over, I've grown a certain fondness for the wild outdoors, mostly from my time in Calgary and Salt Lake City. Vermont is not that, but getting to get lost in our local version of the woods and wilderness has its charm to be sure. I wonder about the food, but I know the drinks are decent in these areas, and the nature is nature.


New Orleans

OK, off to more interesting destinations. I went to New Orleans a good two-plus decades ago, back when I loved trains so my family and I traveled by Amtrak. Now, I definitely won't be going by train, and I also will not be going during Mardi Gras or any summer time when it is a damn bog. But maybe a nice October type trip. New Orleans is a pick influenced because I know most of my friends who went there loved it, but also influenced by the Somebody Feed Phil episode there. The food looks insanely good, be it the Creole food, the more upmarket scene (like Cochon), or even the down home Po Boys. There aren't many exclusive food tourism destinations in our fair country, but New Orleans defintely is one - which only gets better as a place when you combine in the music and drinks.


New Mexico

Back to nature here. I've been to Arizona (though it's been a good two decades), but never visited its spicier cousin to the West. Some of the appeal comes through having seen the natural beauty throughout a little show called Breaking Bad. The desert, the sunsets, the sun-swept sand, the rocks. It all looks so welcoming in its isolation. I honestly have no idea what the food and drinks scene is like, but from what I've read there's been a bit of a gastronomical revolutions there as well.On the whole, New Mexico is a place within the country that is fairly unique, and again other than the bit more commercial Arizona, it is an area I just haven't experienced to date.


Wyoming

More nature. I'm fascinated by Wyoming. Certainly there is mainstream appeal with Yellowstone National Park. I'm not against mainstream - some things are such for a damn good reason. Even outside Yellowstone, I like to combination of old west (saloons, cowboys and the like) and the nature that I came to love in that part of Americana (Colorado and Salt Lake, so far). Wyoming also fascinates me by being the least populous state in the union. I'm sure there's some hidden beauty even in the more social aspects, be it restaurants with likely incredible meat and produce, or old school bars. It's a part of America that seemed mysterious, taken out of age.


Hawaii

OK, let's end this domestic view with the most chalk of picks. Everyone probably should go to Hawaii at some point - so tells me anyone who has actually been to Hawaii. I'm not a water/beach person, so that aspect is lost on me apart from having Luau food (suckling pig, and what not). What does interest me is the hiking, trails and mountains, be it the volcanoes or the lush tropical forests that litter the islands. Also, there seems to be a really great food culture being built, an interesting combination of american and asian flavors. Hawaii is far away, probably the furthest place I could travel to at the moment, and maybe I'll just take them up on their offer whenever they lift their tourist travel ban from the mainland.


International

South Korea

It pains me to even write this one, given I was suipposed to go to South Korea in May. I changed that trip back in February, back when I was more afraid of the Covid situation in South Korea than what horrors were about to fell my own country. I hilariously changed it to New Zealand. Of course, all trips are on the shelf. South Korea today has covid mostly under control, and remains a truly fascinating place. I am already hungry to try out the local food scene, from the seafood to the noodles to the barbecue, The lifestyle of Korea also appeals, from teh temples and simplicity of the sites to the action, lights and glitz of the nightlife. South Korea is the place I do hope to return to in my first international trip next year - for next may. And I don't think I can pick of a better place to restart seeing the world.


New Zealand

Yeah, so my idea of using New Zealand as a backup to a cancelled trip to South Korea si doubly ironic given how New Zealand may be the single last country on earth trusting of Americans to visit - not that I can blame them. New Zealand though still appeals to me as maybe the best combination of natural beauty and cuisine that I can think of. From the food perspective, I know there is amazing seafood, lamb and local produce. From the natural beauty - well come on. From the coastline, the caves, the mountains, the fields. New Zealand looks to be one of the great treasures in our world. Hopefully one day I can experience it so.


The Baltics

The more untouched, rough, but foresty version of the more famous Balkans, I've wanted to go to Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia for a while now. My goal is to try to do so after my sister's wedding in Austria next July. Maybe by then our country won't be a global laughingstock. My parents went there years ago and spoke to its better than expected food, its great beer culture (I already picture some underground beer pub, similar to those I enjoyed in Krakow). The sites are castles and mountains and gardens and the like - enough to keep you more than enteratined, but not so overwhelming you still have times to truly enjoy the food, and drinks and culture. Sign me up - helps its a good deal cheaper than a New Zealand/


Argentina

Here's another one greatly influenced by Somebody Feed Phil, which made Buenos Aires out to be a fascinating culinary center - from the Choripan stalls, to the great gastropub Peron Peron, to the steakhouses, to even one place that was more veggie forward. Buenos Aires seems like a culinary masterpiece - as every large South American city I've been to so far have been. The rest of Argentina seems interesting enough, from Iguazu Falls, to Montevideo (yes, I'm counting the day trip offered to Uruguay as 'Argentina), and maybe if I'm lucky another trip down to El Calafate and the truly unparalleled Perito Moreno Glacier.


Russia

Let's end with the place that has probably been my #1 both times I've done this list. Truly, I think a lot of my yearning to go to Russia comes from not being able to go in 2007 with my school's Orchestra (went with my family to Turkey instead). We can have our issues with Russia the country as a political entity, but as the World Cup two years ago showed, Russia the people and the country is a beautiful, fascinating place. Food is probably better than people think. The drink and nightlife looks great. The sites are many and varied, from world-class museums and history, to beautiful scenery and nature. All of it seems so appealing. Openly, this is my other preferred option for after my sister's wedding. If only there was any security in planning an international trip in July 2021, but alas these are times for dreaming, not planning.

About Me

I am a man who will go by the moniker dmstorm22, or StormyD, but not really StormyD. I'll talk about sports, mainly football, sometimes TV, sometimes other random things, sometimes even bring out some lists (a lot, lot, lot of lists). Enjoy.