Sunday, September 29, 2019

2019 Asian Trip: Day 8 - Ho Chi Minh City


Day 8 – Exploring Saigon

For the first time, I actually got a chance to just stroll around Ho Chi Minh a bit. The city is probably best known from a tourism aspect for what is outside the city (Mekong) but there are some hidden gems inside this massive metropolis. Ho Chi Minh City is truly just gigantic in its size, but I’ll give them credit for not having awful traffic like a Bangkok.

I started out with a nice list of spots to hit, ranging from Museums to Pagodas to shops and of course food. The itinerary was packed, but manageable despite a late start caused by another late night the night before.

The first stop was the War Remnants Museum, which was an eye-opening experience. At a high level, I know the general outline of what the Vietnam War was about, why the US was pretty dumb to enter/escalate it. That millions lost their lives. All that makes sense. But being American, and growing up in a country that would, sadly understandably, not expose all of their horrors to school children, I didn’t know the full extent. I still probably don’t, but after visiting the War Remnants Museum, I’m a lot closer.

The museum is three floors, all fairly small. It starts as a fairly routine museum, with the top floor talking about the lead-up to and then the action throughout the war. The second floor, however, had its main exhibit called “War Crimes”, so I knew things would be different, and my God were they. I’ve been to Auschwitz. I’ve been to the killing fields in Cambodia. This was right up there, the staggering photos of horror. The museum did not hold back – to be fair a lot of it was repurposing award winning photojournalism at the time.

The photos were horrific, first of the aptly entitled ‘war crimes’, showing the carnage and destruction of war. Obviously, they’re portrayal is biased on the other side, and dozens of thousands of US troops died as well – a lot of them themselves not wanting or believing in the war – but fair enough. More of them died. The next set of exhibits focused on the Agent Orange chemical attacks that were meant to defoliate the region, but instead also poisoned hundreds of thousands. Again, this was all fairly gruesome, but also very educational and haunting.

Overall, the War Remnants Museum is a must visit. The legacy of the country is how they’ve recovered from that senselessly violent conflict. What was Saigon at the time was rocked. Today, about 35-40 years later, the city is thriving, clean, gaining, living.

My next stop was lunch at Guac Ngon restaurant, a large, open-air house with a giant catalog style menu. It is known for being a very popular high-throughput place, which it most certainly was. They turn tables quick. The place was a machine, but I have to say the food was quite good as well. I got a sampling of three things, a nice chicken, bamboo & cassava soup, a rice paper pork roll dish (basically a pork version of the beef dish I had an Hoa Tuoc) and finally a pork skin spring roll. All three were good, the setting was great, and while Ngon may be a tourist mainstay, it is decidedly not a tourist trap.

After lunch, my tourism was going to get a bit more spiritual, going to three of the city’s most known pagodas. There are dozens scattered throughout HCMC, and these all showed up on various lists and/or had the best ratings on Google.

The first was the Jade Emperor Pagoda, which was probably the least impressive of the three, but the most crowded, the one that seemed the most like an active establishment. There were dozens of people mingling around, going in every direction, bowing before every image of some God or diety. The temple also had a couple pools which featured turtles nad giant catfish which was a nice touch.

The second temple was probably the most grand, the Vinh Nim Pagoda, which had a large courtyard with a giant statue in front, multiple fancy gates and open halls. Large buddha statues emblazoned in gold. It was a truly serene scene, smack dab in the middle of a busy street in Ho Chi Minh. While I guess this is, in theory, no different than churches being randomly strewn about a Rome or Paris, but given how bustling and lively and hectic the streets of Ho Chi Minh area it just seemed more impressive.

The final pagoda was the Xiao Li pagoda, which was at the corner of a street, with a really cute courtyard and open building. It was probably in between the prior two in terms of fanciness, but was probably also the most green of the three, with manicured little trees all over the place. Overall, the pagodas were all beautiful, and I love the extent that Daoists or Buddhists or other religions will go to make these places little perfect slices of spirituality.

After the three pagodas, I went for a quick beer at Pasteur Street Brewery. The beer again was good and the crowd was lively. On the whole, I am very impressed with the craft beer culture in Ho Chi Minh. It probably isn’t to Taipei’s level of the beer itself, as here the craft breweries are all pushing their hangout angle more than the beer. But still, it’s a great place to waste away for a couple hours.

After the beer, I walked down one of Ho Chi Minh’s larger main thoroughfares, the one that ends in the opera house and has a walking drag in the middle. I have to say, Ho Chi Minh City is way more upscale, modern and – to put it bluntly – clean than I was expecting, and what I remember from my brief time here in 2013. It is great to see, but also makes me more sad of how cities in India just pale in comparison, despite some relative comparative advantages (more wealthy people, admittedly more poor also by sheer volume).

My final stop was a gourmet food store named Annam, which was quite fancy, but a bit disappointing as for them ‘gourmet’ food meant mostly stuff imported from other countries – basically their craft beer selection included Rogue Brewing. That was a quick stop, but still a nice one to see such a store in Ho Chi Minh.

After going back for some R&R, and a sad bit of re-packing, I ventured out for dinner at HOME Finest Vietnamese, an upscale restaurant in northern Ho Chi Minh (still just a 20 min uber in peak weekend traffic). The restaurant is gorgeous, another semi-open residence style building. They had a set menu, but it seemed a bit boring, so I went with a few random choices instead which both worked well. The first was a coconut seafood soup, stuffed with large prawns, squid and fish in a delectabale broth, all put inside a mini coconut.

My main was a duck breast cooked in five spices. It was amazing. Overall, I’ve had far too little duck so far in my time in Vietnam as it is one of the staples of Vietnamese cooking as a main. I need this to change.

After dinner, I headed back to The Gin House – the style there is really great, especially with weekend music. Overall, alcohol is cheap in Vietnam, but probably relative to regular food, a bit expensive. Cocktails at The Gin House, all unbelievably concocted, were 200,000 VND (about 8 dollars). The Observatory was walking distance away and was another great time. They had a nice DJ both outside on their semi-rooftop, and inside which a small EDM club. The place is basically 75% westerners, but after talking to quite a few of them, I learned most have re-settled in Vietnam, and weren’t necessarily tourists like me.

On the way back, I stopped at a road-side pho place, which was probably the most rustic meal I had during my time in Ho Chi Minh. The pho was good, the broth a lot better than the normal pho you get in the US. It was a great way to end a busy day in Ho Chi Minh.

As I’ve finished my time in Ho Chi Minh aside from basically a meal tomorrow morning, I think I can confidently say that it will end up in the 20s somewhere on ym list of cities. Ho Chi Minh City is still growing, and in all the right ways (though apparently overcrowding is a concern). The food is fantastic, the energy in the city is great. The tourism is solid. Everything about the city just sings.

About Me

I am a man who will go by the moniker dmstorm22, or StormyD, but not really StormyD. I'll talk about sports, mainly football, sometimes TV, sometimes other random things, sometimes even bring out some lists (a lot, lot, lot of lists). Enjoy.