Sunday, December 23, 2018

Year-End Trip 2018-19: Day 1-2 - Madrid


Day 1-2: Out of Sight and Out of Time

This figures to be an amazing, a second annual intercontinental trek utilizing the forced leave between Christmas and New Year’s and the handful of days around it, to get a proper two week vacation. Last year, it was the remote isolation of Patagonia. This year, it is a trip straight into the most ethnically and religiously diverse part of the world, a two week trip through Israel and Jordan, two countries high on my list of places, higher on my parent’s list, both because they’ve been to more places (ex: China, Russia), and the religious pilgrimage aspect of the trip is even stronger.

One added bonus of the trip was 10 hours in Madrid on a stopover. Somehow, someway, through a combination of my own stupidity, and that of Air Europa’s inadequacy, the stop in what had been my #1 favorite international city nearly short-circuited the entire trip.

Let’s start out with a few truths, I have worn contacts for roughly twelve or thirteen years. In the last year, I’ve started having issues where my contacts would slip up or down, leading to blurry, unusable vision. This happened to my right eye basically the second I sat down in my seat on Air Europa. Not to any fault of Air Europa, though not not to any fault either, it didn’t get better over the course of six scattershot hours of sleep. Worse, when I left the plane, the left eye started giving trouble. That’s when I remembered the next two truths, or facts rather, (1) I packed my toilet case with my contact case, glasses and extra contacts mistakenly in my suitcase that was checked to Tel Aviv; and (2) I didn’t have any spare left eye contacts having not replaced my empty pack at home.

As you can imagine, this torpedoed the day to some degree. I took the early good fortune of finding a mom and pop pharmacy, adorned with the neon green plus sign outside, that had a contact case and salene solution. I played the long game, surrendering to walk around like a blind mice for a day to make things better down the road. My next stroke of luck is when my mom found a glasses store and confirmed, unbeknownst to me, that you can get contacts without a prescription in most non-US countries. So suddenly, despite still vision-lacking, my prospects for the Israel and Jordan swaths of the trip were far brighter.

Amazingly, through a combination of squinting too much and taking too many photos that clarified the blurried sights, and an overall air of festiveness, Madrid holds onto its #1 place to me. I do need to go back to vet it more fully. Madrid was the first place I traveled to as an adult outside the US by myself, going there in March, 2010. That certainly lends a bit of draw that other cities can’t match.

Before we get to Madrid, though, I must talk about Air Europa. I knew going in that Air Europa was an Low-cost carrier. However, like Air Berlin before it, I expected some level of not-low-cost-ness on a Transatlantic flight from JFK to Madrid. Wrong, totally wrong. We did get food. Not great food, but decent no worse than United on Newark-to-London routes food. What we didn’t get at all though, is entertainment. The ‘movie’ selection was an overhead screen one every ten rows showing movies on loop – something that I last experienced, from what I can remember, in 2001, maybe 2003. This is archaic technology. I can’t remember the last time I was on a widebody that didn’t have seatback entertainment.

Now, given I wanted to sleep, and had the vision issues anyway, I didn’t care; but color me incredibly thankful my flight back from Amman, Jordan, is on Lufthansa, and a brand new (relatively) B747-8i, instead of what may be the first Airbus A330-200 ever built. Quick spoiler, Air Europa was no better on their other flight from Madrid to Tel Aviv. The less said about Air Europa the better.

Back to better news, with Madrid. We had not too many things to see, with my parents and I having all gone recently enough to remember most of the key sites. The most natural tourist site we visited was the Reina Sofia museum, which surprised us all being so modern and surrealist leaning. Given that its showcases are Guernica and various Dali paintings, it shouldn’t be a surprise, but given I definitely went there in 2010, I feel like either I missed a lot, or the museum has changed a lot. Both equally likely. The layout is still good. The main events are still stunning, though I am a bit bitter that there was laser-eye focus on making sure no one, even the most weasily photographers, was able to snap a picture of it.

Prior to the museum, we went to a cute tapas bar, Gato Gato, sitting in the behind shadows of the Reina Sofia. Well rated, found quickly using ‘Google’ as a service, Gato Gato was great. We split a few tapas and few larger small plates, all well cooked, from a pumpkin soup, to both a beef stew and pork cheek stew that we couldn’t tell apart, but could tell quickly how well the meat was cooked, both just emlting from a light touch of a fork.

The one slight disappointment was Madrid’s local Mahou beer being far more Kingfisher than I remember it being – something I can absolutely point to Madrid being my first solo international trip clouding judgement and memories.

After the museum, we stuck with various levels of Christmas fare from then on out, checking out multiple of the Spanish capitals Christmas Markets, lit up Christmas Trees, nativity scenes, packed streets with lights on each side and above, and all the rest. Excepting Italy, the continent’s most proudly Catholic country was in full Christmas season to a level that put Rockefeller Center to shame.

The first stop was Plaza Mayor, Madrid’s largest square, which had a giant Christmas market, selling many nativity scenes and associated buildings, animals, flora, etc, that can enliven up those scenes. For us, people who have built our own sprawling crib scene every Christmas, it was a paradise, and we walked away with a few novel things. It was fascinating also to see these stands so crowded; more crowded, in fact, than the ones selling hawkerish Christmas hats and shirts and the like.

We left Plaza Mayor around 5pm, not having the patience to wait until 6pm and the tree being lit. Instead, walking about half a mile, with various Christmas window shopping related stops on the way, to Puerto Sol, to see their tree being lit. Puerto Sol is in the heart of Madrid, a bit more open than the closed off Plaza Mayor, with each artery extending outwards jam packed with window lights and store decorations. When the tree promptly lit a divine blue color at 6pm sharp, the crowd was aghast one second, and with camera phone in hand the next – me included. It was a magical sight, one potentially enhanced by the blurred vision?

Due to Madrid’s strange anywhere within city limits is EUR 5.50 policy (seriously), we were able to scratch off a few more sites before having to head back to the madness that was Air Europa. First was seeing the Palacio Real all lit up, with some Christmas lights and music, and nativity scene outside the adjourning Cathedral, and then walk over the the jam-packed, understandable for a Saturday, Mercado San Miguel, where we scrumped down various meat and fish tapas to fill our bellies enough so that we could sleep right through the 4hr30min flight to Tel Aviv.

In the end, getting a quick layover is always a nice bonus to any trip, and getting a chance to visit my #1 city, even somewhat visually impaired, was more than worth it. We picked Air Europa because it was relatively cheap both by cash (me) and points (my parents). We also picked it because we could get a day more-or-less in Madrid. That all worked out. My forgetfulness didn’t. In the end, I wouldn’t not pick Air Europa, I would just make damn well sure I pack my contacts.

About Me

I am a man who will go by the moniker dmstorm22, or StormyD, but not really StormyD. I'll talk about sports, mainly football, sometimes TV, sometimes other random things, sometimes even bring out some lists (a lot, lot, lot of lists). Enjoy.