Sunday, May 27, 2012

NHL Stanley Cup Finals Pick

I haven't picked against them yet, so I sure ain't starting now. I know the Kings are on a run like no other, beating the 1-2-3 seeds in the Western Conference, all in 5 or 4 games, and not losing one single game on the road. Of course, the Devils are on quite a run of their own before nervously taking out the Florida Panthers, by dispatching the post-1st round favorite in Philly in 5, and the Eastern Conference's wire-to-wire #1 seed in six, and it only went six because Henrik Lundquist stood on the exact top of his head in Game 3. Either way, this season will end with the lowest seed to ever win the Cup since the current format started. I have no real basis for making this pick. The Kings have the edge in goal, and their defense is probably a wash with the Devils and their forwards are also really close. Both the teams have good special team units. The Devils are the better team over the course of the season, but the Kings have been better in the playoffs. Either way, I like the Devils because so much is riding on this. Brodeur can really put the cherry on his career sundae with this one. His playoff record has been spotty since the Devils most recent Cup win in 2003, and this will make him unique, being a starting goalie for a Cup winning team 17 years apart (16 seasons), which, I haven't looked this up, might be one of the longest stretches of championship winning in history. Parise can be a cup-winning captain (which will make his impeding leaving of New Jersey all the more interesting), and Ilya Kovalchuk (and the Devils organization for signing him) will earn that contract. This Devils team can finally, hopefully, show the NHL world that they don't play "Devils" hockey (which the 2000 team didn't either). For the Kings, they can win their first Cup, but come on, do we need another Southern Cali team to win a Cup? No, no we don't.

Again, I have no reason for making this pick other than homerism and the fact that these teams are really close. Cases can be made for each. The Devils are a worse matchup for the Kings than either Phoenix or St. Louis, with a better forecheck and more front-line offensive player. The Devils are a better team to me than either, especially Phoenix. The East was the better conference all year (five teams with 102+ points, four in the same division which is more impressive since they play each other so many times) and I think the conference will get their just reward. I've been a hard-core sports fan since about 1999, and this is the longest in my time as a fan without one of my teams winning it all, but I think it ends this year. The Pick:

Devils in 7

About Me

I am a man who will go by the moniker dmstorm22, or StormyD, but not really StormyD. I'll talk about sports, mainly football, sometimes TV, sometimes other random things, sometimes even bring out some lists (a lot, lot, lot of lists). Enjoy.